Lung Cancer

  • Symptoms and Warning Signs of Respiratory Diseases

    Catch any disease in the early stages is extremely important, and lung diseases and maladies are no different. The sooner a chronic disease or an acute illness is detected, the easier and quicker it will be treated, and the higher chance you have of living through it. Unfortunately, the signs and symptoms of the early stages of diseases like COPD and even lung cancer are usually subtle and often overlooked until the disease has progressed into the advanced stages.

    Since this is often the case, it's important to consider family history of chronic diseases, so you will know to pay close attention to your physical state and to get tested for any diseases that run in your family. If you had relatives who died of lung cancer, you will need to pay special attention, and your doctor will likely order a regular screening to be done.

    Continue reading

  • Symptoms and Treatment of Lung Cancer

    In its early stages, lung cancer is a silent disease. Most individuals are asymptomatic (without symptoms) for the first several months up to a year or two. Unfortunately, lung cancer is generally in its advanced stages when individuals begin to feel something is wrong.

    The symptoms include shortness of breath or wheezing, chest pain that doesn’t go away, a persistent cough, frequent lung infections, loss of appetite and weight loss. Someone with lung cancer may get bronchitis regularly, or pneumonia, as the lungs are rendered defenseless by the malignant tumor.

    Continue reading

  • What is Lung Cancer?

    Lung cancer is the presence of malignant cells (a malignant tumor) in the lungs. These malignant cells grow and spread rapidly, destroying healthy lung tissue in the process. Lung cancer is the result of cancerous lung cells, although cancerous cells of other types can spread to the lungs.

    Non-small cell lung cancer is the most common form of lung cancer. Around 80% of lung cancer is of this type. While the cells grow more rapidly than normal cells, the non-small cell lung cancer does not grow as fast as small cell lung cancer, which makes up the other 20%.

    One major cause of lung cancer is smoking. Smoking causes about 87% of lung cancer cases. This includes both smokers and those who live or work with smokers, inhaling secondhand smoke on a regular basis.

    Continue reading

3 Item(s)